Thursday, November 29, 2012

Wind Turbine

 I had been wanting to make my own electricity for a while so I decided to commit to it.  

I learned most everything I needed to know on the Internet, but there are books available at your local library on homebrew electric generation.  
Hugh Piggott is a good starting place for learning about wind and hydro  power.  Websites are always coming and going but Otherpower has been a reliable source for pdf. documents and all sorts of homemade electricity ideas (rabbit hole)

I made the choice to build my own generator instead of trying to scavenge or buy a industrially manufactured motor/generator.  Homemade axial flux alternators are a very good option for homebrew power generation because they can be custom built to suit a specific power demand and have a high output voltage per rpm. This means that gear boxes are not required to produce enough voltage, which cuts down on material demand and maintenance.



Side View Drawing of Axial Flux Alternator


Material List
11lbs of 14awg magnet wire                          $120    What I used.... $11
16 Neodymium Magnets, 1.5" x .75" x .25"             $90              
Steel sheet, .25" x 12" x 48"                        $16     What I used.... $7
Hardware, bolts and nuts                             $45
Fiberglass resin 1.5 qts                             $30
Bike crank arm, Bottom bracket, Frame               Free
Sheet metal 16"x16" 1/16" thick (scavenged)            Free

So the cost of the alternator thus far has been $183 and 8 hours of working/learning.

The Complete Alternator

Alternator with Stator and 
Outer rotor removed

The Stator

The trickiest part of making the generator was finding a suitable bearing and hub assembly.  I wound up taking a bicycle and cutting its bottom bracket assembly off with the angle grinder.  I cut the arm of the drive side crank leaving only the chainring mounting tabs, which would be bolted to the rotor.

 Next I will start on the electrical system, then make the blades and the tower.


No comments:

Post a Comment